According to 2015 motorcycle statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
– While motorcycles made up only 3% of registered vehicles in the U.S., motorcyclists made up 14% of all traffic fatalities;
– About 27% of motorcyclists who lost their lives in traffic accidents did not have the proper licensing at the time of the accident;
– About one-third of all fatalities among motorcyclists in 2014 involved speeding;
– Fatalities among motorcyclists are more likely to occur on weekends than weekdays.
And according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
– The average age of motorcycle fatality-victims is on the rise: in 1990, only one in four victims was 40 years or older, but twenty years later (in 2010), over 50% of victims were 40 or older.
– The correlation between motorcycle helmet laws and reduced motorcyclist fatalities has been scientifically proven.
Here are some quick tips for motorcyclists to stay safe on the road:
– Always maintain adequate stopping distance between you and the vehicle ahead and keep your eyes out for anything that could result in the sudden need to stop.
– Wear a helmet! Although it is not required by Illinois law, we highly recommend wearing a helmet whether you are the operator or passenger to protect against serious head injuries and even death in the event of an accident.
– Be especially cautious when riding at night and in poor weather conditions, and do everything you can to make yourself visible to other drivers, such as wearing bright or reflective clothing and always using your lights and turn signals.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident due to negligence, contact Agruss Law Firm, LLC for a free consultation. We are Chicago-based injury personal lawyers representing individuals (and their families) who have suffered in a motorcycle accident. We will handle your case quickly and advise you every step of the way, and we will not hesitate to go to trial for you. Lastly, Agruss Law Firm, LLC is not paid attorneys’ fees unless we win your case. Our no-fee promise is that simple. You have nothing to risk when you hire us – only the opportunity to seek justice.
- Blind Spots and Tips for Motorcyclists
- Compensation for Motorcycle Accidents
- Medical Treatment After a Motorcycle Accident