What legal rights do patients have?
Nursing home residents have a legal right to be treated with respect and dignity – without mistreatment or abuse of any kind – while maintaining control over their medical care and treatment. Under Illinois state law, they also have the right to file complaints and grievances without fear of reprisal, and when a nursing home resident has been abused or neglected in any way, our experienced personal injury attorneys will fight to ensure that justice is served and the resident is fully compensated for the damages.
Here are the federally-protected rights of nursing home residents. These residents have the right to:
- Have visitors;
- File complaints about inadequate medical care;
- Not be abused or unnecessarily restrained in any way;
- Personal privacy and respect, especially pertaining to medical records and information;
- Have and use clothing and other personal belongings;
- Full medical disclosures of all treatments and their costs;
- Personal care from a physician;
- Handle all personal finances;
- Understand all policies and procedures of the nursing home.
And here are the state-protected rights of nursing home residents in Illinois:
- File complaints or grievances regarding abuse, neglect, or inadequate medical care;
- See and retain copies of all personal medical records;
- Amend and add information to your records;
- File a complaint with the Illinois state department, Office for Civil Rights, and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services;
- Sue in Illinois Circuit Court regarding your medical records.
If your loved one’s rights have been violated in any way by a nursing home or its employees – ranging from the above-listed rights to outright abuse or neglect – contact Agruss Law Firm, LLC for a free consultation. We are a personal injury law firm representing individuals (and their families) who have suffered an injury. We will handle your case quickly and advise you every step of the way, and we will not hesitate to go to trial for you. Lastly, Agruss Law Firm, LLC is not paid attorneys’ fees unless we win your case. Our no-fee promise is that simple. You have nothing to risk when you hire us – only the opportunity to seek justice.