Over 9 million large commercial trucks are registered in the United States, and they collectively travel over 226 billion miles per year. They make up 4% of all registered vehicles in the country while driving 14% of the total miles per year, and unfortunately many accidents involving these large trucks occur on highways. If you or a loved one has been in an accident involving a large truck, we at Agruss Law Firm are here for you every step of the way to ensure that your rights are protected and you are fully compensated for your injuries and losses, and this includes working with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure a favorable settlement.
Here are some statistics from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):
- In 2010 alone, there were over 3,400 fatalities in accidents involving commercial trucks;
- Of those fatalities, over 85% were occupants of passenger-vehicles or pedestrians rather than truck drivers;
- In all two-vehicle accidents involving large trucks, about 97% of fatalities were occupants of passenger-vehicles.
Nearly 1,000 fatal truck accidents between 2001 and 2003 were studied by Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), who found that truck drivers were at-fault in the majority of these accidents. Here are some other findings from the study about at-fault truck drivers in fatal accidents:
- About 26% had been taking prescription drugs;
- About 22% were speeding at the time of the accident;
- Over 22% were fatigued, under “work-related pressure,” or both;
- About 17% were influenced by over-the-counter drug use;
- Other causes within the top-twenty included unlawful maneuvers, tailgating, and inattention.
While driver-error is the most common cause of accidents involving large commercial trucks, the trucking company and/or truck’s manufacturer may also be legally liable if improper vehicle maintenance or defective design of vehicle-parts directly resulted in the accident and your injuries. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of the accident to determine which parties are legally liable and ensure that you are fully compensated for the damages you’ve sustained.
If you have been injured in an auto accident, contact Agruss Law Firm, LLC for a free consultation. Helping our clients is about counseling, advocating, and ultimately solving problems. With years of experience successfully representing the people and not the powerful, we will take care of the insurance adjusters, your medical bills, your property damage, and your lost wages, and monitor your treatment so you can focus on healing and getting your life back to normal. We will handle your case quickly and advise you every step of the way, and we will not hesitate to go to trial for you. Lastly, Agruss Law Firm, LLC is not paid attorneys’ fees unless we win your case. Our no-fee promise is that simple. You have nothing to risk when you hire us – only the opportunity to seek justice.