In 2012 alone, over 34,000 U.S. citizens lost their lives in auto accidents – averaging nearly four fatalities per hour – and, unfortunately, far too many accidents result from careless and/or reckless driving. Distraction, intoxication, and recklessness result in serious and even deadly auto accidents on a daily basis, and if you’ve lost your loved one in an accident due to another driver’s negligence, we at Agruss Law Firm are here to guide you and ensure that your rights are protected and your family is fully compensated for your losses.
In 2011, over 281,000 auto accidents occurred in Illinois – over 133,000 of which (nearly half) were in Cook County – resulting in 918 fatalities, 234 of which were in Cook County. Wrongful death lawsuits typically depend on two primary factors:
- Proven negligence – It must be proven that the defendant’s negligence in the auto accident directly resulted in the death of your loved one.
- Damages – Grounds for compensation typically include lost income, medical/funeral expenses, and pain and suffering.
The at-fault driver’s auto insurance policy may cover some of your expenses, but remember that insurance companies want to pay out as little as possible for claims simply because it’s how they make their profits. You need an experienced personal injury attorney on your side to ensure a settlement which fully compensates your family for your losses rather than a lowballed offer made in the best interests of the insurer.
Common financial damages in wrongful death cases include:
- Funeral/memorial expenses – Costs for funeral services can average over $7,000 and even exceed $10,000, and the deceased’s family should not have to bear the full burden of these costs.
- Lost income – The loss of a breadwinner in a household can significantly impact the family’s ability to make ends meet.
- Lost consortium – This refers to lost companionship and romantic or platonic affairs with the deceased, and these damages are commonly claimed by surviving spouses.
And here are some additional statistics:
- About 59% of wrongful death plaintiffs in the U.S. receive over $50,000, while about 31% of Illinois plaintiffs receive over $50,000;
- About 7% of wrongful death plaintiffs in the U.S. receive over $5 million, while about 5% of Illinois plaintiffs receive over $5 million;
- Wrongful death cases in Illinois are slightly more common (5%) than elsewhere in the United States;
- Illinois counties which have had above-average rates of wrongful death cases resulting from auto accidents include Cook, DuPage, Lake, Madison, St. Clair, and Winnebago.
Families who have lost a loved one in a wrongful death deserve full compensation, including for:
- Deceased’s pain – You may bring a claim for your loved one’s pain and suffering before his/her wrongful death.
- Family’s suffering – A loved one’s death changes his/her family’s life in numerous ways, financially as well as personally, and families should be compensated for lost support and companionship as well as lost income.
- Expenses – Expenses, from medical bills to funeral expenses, combined with lost income, can place great stress on a surviving family, and our experienced personal injury attorneys are here to ensure that your family’s finances are handled properly so you may grieve in peace and start on a path to recovery.
We at Agruss Law Firm are proud to serve our fellow citizens in personal injury cases, including when an injury or death has occurred due to another’s negligence, and we are fully committed to protecting your rights and ensuring that the other party is held legally accountable when negligence occurs. We will fight until the very end to ensure that you are fully compensated for all injuries and losses resulting from the accident, including medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering, and you won’t owe us a dime for our services.
If you have lost a loved one in an auto accident due to another driver’s negligence, contact Agruss Law Firm, LLC for a free consultation. Helping our clients is about counseling, advocating, and ultimately solving problems. With years of experience successfully representing the people and not the powerful, we will take care of the insurance adjusters, your medical bills, your property damage, and your lost wages, and monitor your treatment so you can focus on healing and getting your life back to normal. We will handle your case quickly and advise you every step of the way, and we will not hesitate to go to trial for you. Lastly, Agruss Law Firm, LLC is not paid attorneys’ fees unless we win your case. Our no-fee promise is that simple. You have nothing to risk when you hire us – only the opportunity to seek justice.